Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Digits Have Been Busy

With all of our family/friend visits recently, this blog turned into a travel log of sorts. Back to the knitting!

First, there's the Ribbed Jacket by Debbie Bliss. I used Bernat Satin yarn in Camel. Now this was supposed to be for the 12 month old size but, obviously, I did not get the correct gauge. No matter. The Increcible Digit Girl likes it just fine and it fits her perfectly. I added ribbed cuffs on the sleeves and a few rows of garter stitch at the bottom edge.


Then, for a young friend of the family, I made a Princess Crown Hat. I used Lion Brand Jiffy yarn for this one. Pink, grey and a little purple. I was a little disappointed at how high up the crown wound up. I've actually recharted and am making another for the young girl's sister. Hopefully, that will work out more as I had envisioned. Eventually, I'll post the chart for all to see and, hopefully, use.


This next project is the Raglan Sleeve Easy Baby Sweater by Linda (Linda's Lists) which I got off the Ravelry website. It's such a great pattern and it worked up fairly fast. I did get the gauge that was needed but I just made it too big for the recipient. So her older cousin was the more appropriate wearer. I used Cleckheaton Country Silk 8 ply (really nice Australian yarn) in this slightly heathered pink color. The best part about this yarn? It was in the sale bins at The Knitting Bee for only $2.99 a ball.


I was lucky enough to go to the last Yarn Tasting event at Knit/Purl and got to try so many luscious yarns. Unfortunately, I failed miserably in my attempt at mosaic knitting. So I found "Slip Stitch Knitting" by Roxana Bartlett at the library and dove in. With the help of the book, I did achieve what I would call an elementary-level understanding of the process and tried it on these two hats. The yarn is Aspen by ggh - a 50/50 merino/acrylic blend. It's a bulky weight that worked up fast. It's nice to have quick results when learning a new technique.


Next up on the slate. Finishing off another Raglan Sleeve Sweater, another (smaller) Ribbed Jacket and a Garter Stitch Rib scarf.

No comments: