Friday, October 23, 2009

Knitting for Men

So recently, I decide that I would like to make my husband a hat. I figured it was about time that the man who so willingly supports my knitting hobby (addiction) is rewarded with a hand knit item. I purchase a skein of yarn in a nice wine heather shade and ask him if he'd like a hat in this yarn. It matches his winter coat pretty well so I think, hey, I'm golden. He says....."how about black". Ok, another reason to buy yarn. I can do that. So then I start working on finding a pattern.

I ask "Would you like a cabled hat?"

"Huh?", he says.

"You know, a hat with cables", I respond.

His answer, "Are those the twist-y things? I'm not so big on those."

Ok, so at this point I think to myself that I have a fair amount of knitting skill, I work in a yarn shop and I sometimes help other people figure out a problem when they hit a snag in their knitting. I had envisioned making my husband a really intricate cabled hat. I had self-centered daydreams of co-workers and friends asking him "Where did you get that great hat?". So now, I have come back to reality and accepted the fact that I will be knitting a stockinette hat....... in black.

But, hey, there's still a skein of soft wool in a lovely wine heather color just waiting to be turned into fabulous Celtic knots.....with braids......and ropes..........where are my needles?

3 comments:

Missamite said...

I feel your pain. #1 son has size 13 feet and wanted black socks. Nonetheless, be careful what you wish for. Last time my husband got to pick out what I would make him, I ended up working on an Alice Starmore fisherman. It only took me three years to complete...and he never wears it.

Bobbie Wallace said...

Maybe he'd like a driving cap like I made ToolMan last year. I'll never get that pattern re-written, but if you want to take a stab at it, I'll show you the mods I made to the pattern, and the ones I wish I'd one.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Would he like a black stockinette hat with a colorwork pattern on the hem? I did one like that for DH (pre-Ravelry, and I think it's lost, again) that DH was happy to wear.